Singer Lee Lang hihglights the financial struggle of artists after receiving her award at the '2017 Korean Music Awards'


Article: Lee Lang offers to sell her trophy for $500 as soon as she wins it at the '2017 Korean Music Awards'

Source: Newsen via Nate

"My friend told me not to pursue this if I wasn't satisfied with two out of the three in money, honor, and fun. This award ceremony today has failed to fulfill any two. There's no prize money. I'm happy enough to have won to receive this honor but there's no fun or money in this. Thank you for the honor, though. I'll have to sell this to make any money. I made $420 in January, and thankfully #960 in February. I'm a struggling artist so I'm going to have to sell this trophy to make it."

-

1. [+948, -61] She's cool

2. [+897, -38] As a musician, there is only a very small minority that can stand on a stage such as this. Please remember that. And someone who has achieved such a position only makes $420 a month, $960 this month...

3. [+740, -30] She actually said that at an award ceremony?

4. [+118, -14] I really can't hate her for saying that ㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+118, -6] The guts of this woman ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

6. [+112, -9] Wow daebak ㅋㅋㅋ she has guts ㅋㅋㅋ I don't think anyone could say something like that at an awards ceremony ㅋㅋㅋ

7. [+110, -7] Sure honor is important... but what's that matter when you've been starving for three days..

8. [+58, -11] It's true though, what does a trophy matter to someone who only makes $420 a month...

9. [+55, -30] This is hilarious ㅋㅋ The awards ceremony went out of their way to prepare an award for her to honor her music talents and she takes them all for fools? She could've just been like "Thank you for the opportunity to get my name out there with this award" but look at her being so disrespectful. No wonder she only makes $420 a month ^^

10. [+48, -49] I actually think this is rude of her ㅋ is she a beggar, why is she begging for money at an awards ceremony? If it's so tough for her, quit and go get another job, no one's forcing her to be a singer...

11. [+47, -16] I understand what message she's trying to convey... but it could've been done with more tact and respect. Sigh.

12. [+46, -8] I can't bring myself to hate her because she's so realistic. Good job. It's not like a trophy will feed you or pay your rent.

-

Article: "Selling my trophy for $500"... a bluntly realistic award speech

Source: Joongang Ilbo via Naver

1. [+190, -6] She's really gutsy... makes me want to learn from her

2. [+137, -6] That took some guts!

3. [+126, -7] Wow, really gutsy of her. I wish her the best and hope that she continues to speak her mind on issues like this even after she finds success ^^

4. [+107, -6] She makes $420 a month but has a $500 rent... "I'll be starting the auction for this trophy at $500, any takers~?"

5. [+82, -6] The wage gap in the celebrity industry really is huge

6. [+33, -1] Very brave her... she seems to have a lot of pride in her career

7. [+28, -0] So if the artists are getting paid the least, who's making all the money? They're the ones doing all the work~~

8. [+43, -7] Please don't try to argue that SM didn't ruin the Korean music market. They have a history of things they've done, and they're still doing ruining it with all the collabs they've been churning out. They're sticking all their artists in movies, dramas, varieties, and musicals, and as a whole have been putting a negative turn on the entire entertainment industry.

-