Washington Post spotlights growing trend of Korean men wearing make up


Article: Washington Post spotlights Korean men wearing make up, "Korean men in twenties focus on make up"

Source: Yonhap News via Nate

Increase in male skincare and make up products in Korea's cosmetics industry every year. Most popular products start with basic skincare like toners, essence, and lotion up to eyebrow pencils, bb cream, and popular websites that give make up tips.

One make up brand recently passed out free cleansing and toner samples to males at a baseball game.

The trend increase is believed to be because of the importance in looks for employment opportunities.

One 48 year old man who uses face masks after coming home from outdoor activities said, "Korean society is extremely competitive. While the younger men are stacking up resume experience or hanging out with their girlfriends, taking care of our looks can also be of big help to the older male generation."

Most make up brands are currently amping up their male make up lines as well.

-

1. [+355, -43] I seriously hate it when a guy puts on powder, draws their eyebrows, and puts on eyeliner.

2. [+239, -60] I think the majority of the guys who put on make up are gay..

3. [+227, -28] Just make sure you keep a good skincare routine. You don't need powder and eyeliner... Just please manage yourselves.

3. [+39, -17] Ugh, men who put on make up need to take their balls off

4. [+33, -8] Why do people hate guys wearing make up but then like male celebrities with a full face of make up ㅋㅋ

5. [+28, -25] Am I the only one who likes a man who wears make up and manages himself?;;; (I'm a woman)

6. [+28, -14] I was really shocked when I went on the subway recently. You could tell right away that they were wearing base make up, color products, BB cream, sunblock... They looked like they were in theater dress ㅎ I'm not saying don't put on make up but at least ask your mom or nuna or little sister if it looks alright and get some tips ㅠㅠ

7. [+21, -7] I can understand skincare products and BB cream fit for male skin tones but... eyeliner and lip tints? That's so wrong ㅡㅡ

8. [+13, -5] Everyone, whether male or female, should have the freedom to dress themselves however they want. I think it's extremely offensive to say you think any male who wears make up is disgusting and I actually think that's discrimination. It's thoughts like these that eventually lend way to all sorts of discrimination issues. Just because you're a male doesn't mean you don't have feminine traits and just because you're a female doesn't mean you don't have male traits. It's frustrating to me to see that my fellow younger generation has such closed minded thoughts. If my boyfriend wore make up, I'd just think it was his decision and freedom to do so. If I don't like it, I don't have to date him. Nothing to feel disgusted with him over..

9. [+12, -4] I agree that it's off putting to see men with thick make up on but I bet the people telling them to take their balls off are ugly orcs ㅋㅋㅋ

10. [+10, -0] I actually prefer men who at least do basic skincare routines. It makes them look like they take care of themselves.

-