Pann: Han Gong Ju, the gang rape scandal of a Milyang junior high school student
The Pann goes into detail about the movie 'Han Gong Ju' which is based on a true story of a female student who was gang raped by 44 different high school boys over the course of a year. The lead actress Chun Woo Hee won the 'Best Actress' award at this year's Blue Dragon Film Awards.
The gang rape scandal of a Milyang junior high school student
From gang rape to threats using recorded footage of the rape. Sexual torture using sex toys. Even forced her to bring in her dongseng and older cousin to assault and rape. Police refused to believe her, asking if she did not seduce them first.
June of 2003, Choi (14 years old at the time) began chatting with Park (17 years old) on the internet. After frequent contact, Park asked to meet her on January of 2004 and called her out to meet him in Milyang, his hometown.
After meeting her in Milyang, he hit her with a metal pipe until she fainted and called his friends over so they could move her to a local inn. The 12 of them then gang raped her while she was unconscious.
Park recorded the entire gang rape on his camcorder and cellphone and threatened Choi to spread it on the internet if she didn't listen to them.
Scared by his threats, Choi was not able to tell the police or her parents that she was being raped. Park took this as an opportunity to continue the assaults and rape.
Park and his friends always hung out in groups of 7-10 people and called Choi out to wherever they were like at playgrounds, inns, or tennis courts to rape her. They even sexually tortured her using toys.
The group then took their crimes further by forcing Choi to call her dongseng (12 years old) and her older cousin (15 years old) out to Milyang to steal their money and rape them as well.
Choi had nowhere to turn to for help. Her parents had divorced and she was living with her father who was an alcohol addict and habitually beat her. Choi eventually turned to suicide to end her misery.
She took 20 sleeping pills but failed and was taken to the emergency room. She began receiving treatment after waking up in two days.
She began suffering from severe depression and mental instability and continued multiple suicide attempts. Choi's aunt eventually caught on to something being very wrong and persuaded her to open up to her about everything.
Upon finding the truth, she told Choi's mother and her mother reported everything to the police. After a year, the scandal was finally brought to light.
Unfortunately, more problems came up once investigations began. Despite the mother asking for her daughter's identity to be protected, police ignored the requests and released full information on Choi's identity to the media.
The mother had also requested that Choi be investigated by a female police but the police did not comply. Choi had to recount all of the embarrassing torture she had suffered to a male police.
Furthermore, the male police investigating Choi had told her:
"Are you sure you didn't seduce them first?"
"You realize you ruined Milyang, right?"
And because Choi's identity was not properly protected, mothers of the assailants found Choi and swore at her face unspeakable things.
During this entire ordeal, Choi's father, who had previously ignored his family completely, made a sudden appearance, worsening the situation even father. As his right as her 'father', he reached a monetary settlement as compensation with the assailants.
Choi had no idea of the settlement and was forced to sign off on a compensation of 50 million won. That 50 million won was in exchange for a year of gang rape by 44 different men.
Out of the 44 students involved:
10 were indicted (7 imprisoned, 3 without detention)
20 were transferred to juvenile detention halls
14 were let off on settlement
Everyone was let off without it going on their criminal record. As of today, they are either currently in college or living normal lives in society.
Choi's father wasted the 50 million won and eventually died from alcohol addiction. Choi moved to the outskirts of Ulsan with her mother but because of the parents of the assailants visiting her high school with all sorts of threats, Choi was unable to complete her high school education.
10 years later, she's currently going from one day labor job to the next to make a living.
1. [+1,904, -3] The identities of the assailants need to be released. Please consider this issue as something that happened to your own daughter and release the identities.
2. [+1,453, -1] Why? Why did it not go on their criminal records? Why?
3. [+1,332, -2] Wake up, Korea
4. [+358, -2] It should also be remembered that there was a policewoman named Hwang Sun Mi who supported the gang rape and not only is she a policewoman today but is even advancing up the ladder ㅋㅋ
5. [+285, -0] There was a person who supported the assailants and she is a policewoman today and still friends with the assailants. A ridiculous world we live in.
6. [+204, -0] (Netizen found the Facebook of one of the assailants)
7. [+203, -1] It was actually found that there were 110 assailants. Only three were dealt punishment because they discovered too much semen in her body that it was impossible to identify who was involved. And the 50 million won was split among her father and their relatives who fought over the money.
8. [+164, -0] The assailants are currently in college, doing fine in life.. and a woman who even supported them is a policewoman today... Korea amazes me
9. [+152, -0] (Another Facebook picture of assailant found) This guy is not only married but has a kid now
10. [+117, -0] These idiots should all die (picture of the assailants hiding from the media on police floor)