Trot has rapidly grown into a monster genre and the music industry predicts it will continue to surpass K-Pop

Article: Trot has become a dinosaur and K-Pop manpower is moving over

Source: Korea Ilbo via Naver

Article talks about how major trot artists are surpassing album sales against K-Pop groups, causing a crossover in talent from songwriters to producers who think trot has a brighter future than idol groups. 

1. [+84, -15] I'm tired of it

2. [+49, -4] K-Pop stands for Korean Pop. It's unfortunate that we separate K-Pop and trot when they're all Korean singers at the end of the day. We should be supporting all of them. I'll always support any singer who touches the heart of the public with the power of good music.

3. [+30, -1] I think it's also an example of our older generation outpacing the new. The market is now moving towards the ones with the money, which are the older generation. 

4. [+25, -2] I'm bored of it all...

5. [+21, -1] I do like how trot has moved away from the typical like Song Dae Kwan and Tae Jin Ah

6. [+8, -0] Honestly, trot is easier to sing along to than most idol music, and the singers aren't required to do any real dancing. Companies also save money on style and image since they don't really switch up concepts... And we definitely have an aging population outpacing our birth rate. There's really no loss for the trot market. Though I will admit trot will do nothing for exporting Hallyu, it's purely a domestic consumption 🤣

7. [+5, -0] I find trot so repetitive. I'm tired of all the trot competition shows.

8. [+4, -0] I'm thinking it's a bubble

9. [+4, -0] It was fine at first but I feel like we're stuck in trot hell now. I'm sick and tired of it.

10. [+4, -0] This is what happens when your birth rate drops and you end up with an overflowing older generation ã…‹

11. [+4, -1] I always assumed the singers who went into trot did so because they weren't competitive enough to go against idols. I truly doubt most of them actually are genuine about their love for trot and feel proud that they're trot singers ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹

12. [+4, -1] Yeah, is that why singers who get famous for trot end up returning to ballads...?

13. [+3, -0] Ajummas have shown their fangirling power, it's on another level

14. [+2, -0] I found it fresh and interesting at first but it's become so repetitive now

15. [+2, -0] I seriously f*cking hate trot

16. [+2, -0] Trot is a genre you can sing into old age! There's no limit!

-

A trot album has outsold K-Pop: Lee Chan Won with 560k copies, BSS with 500k copies, Key with 70k copies, Yesung with 60k copies, Hwang Minhyun with 50k copies, GOT7's Jinyoung with 40k copies

By 2022, 41 trot songs have ranked in the monthly top 100